Sunday, January 31, 2010

MY VERSION OF CROCS

MY VERSION OF CROCS

When I saw these slithering beauties I knew I had to have them!  I had no idea what I would wear with them, but felt confident I could figure it out.  They just mesmerized me like a snake does to its prey before it stirkes.  I tried them on and the way they wrapped themselves around my foot, across the toes and bridge then up and around the ankle, buckle them into place; ahhh, that feels good.  Walking around the store in them they look alluring and feel amazing.  They keep saying "let's just glide right out the door and keep going".  However I know I must pay for them first, so I slip them off and put them back in their box, while closing the lid I assure them it won't be long before they're free.

At home I decide to name these "Gustave" after the largest man-eating crocodile, because I think these will get more compliments from men than women.  I know, you're thinking "what?"  Women who love shoes know what I'm saying, there are just some shoes men will notice and compliment you on, and I think this is one of those pairs of shoes. I can't really decide if they look more like faux snakeskin or alligator/crocodile, since I don't own any of the real deal, that's okay because I think Gustave suits them well.

Anyway, when I get them home I immediately take them to my closet and start matching them with all my clothes and decide they go with everything in my closet except pink or red (the exception being red toe-nail polish).  I've since worn them with navy blue work trousers and this silky green/black/blue paisley patterend angel sleeved top with navy blue trim.  I have also paired Gustave with my skinny black pencil skirt and sage green button down shirt for work.  When I want them to be the center of the outfit I will wear them with either all black or all grey then add in green jewelry and an interesting green handbag.  I really love wearing them with jeans and a v-neck sweater or tee-shrit becuase they're unexpected peeking out from underneath the jeans.

Today I wore them with black jeans, lime green tank top underneath a black v-neck sweater; they were definitely the center of the outfit.  I headed out the door to the salon to have my hair done (this sassy short blonde hair doesn't come naturally anymore!).  My "hair-day" is all about me; I want to feel good, look good and have a fabulous time!  I love relaxing and enjoying all the gossip; especially when you don't know the person and you get to hear about their husband/boyfriend, neighbor or someone at work.  I'm a little jealous of my daughter (she's my hairdresser, in case I hadn't mentioned it) who gets to spend her days being creative with hair and enjoying all the different people.  When I hear bits-and-pieces she fills me in on what I've missed and if she won't then I know Daniel will (he's a big gossip and I've known him for 20 years)!

While sitting with my head in the shampoo bowl and toner on my scalp (toner tones down the yellow or brassiness in blondes - see Bre, mommy listens), I overhear these ladies talking about a party they were at and are commenting on how tacky one of the guests new girlfriends was because she wore Keds to a dinner party.  They go on to discuss her age and how one of them thought he brought his daughter until he nuzzled her neck.  At this moment Bre comes over to rinse out my hair and I'm thinking; I couldn't agree more about the tackiness of her shoe choice for that particular occasion and I let my mind wander as I think of what I would have worn to that outdoor dinner party.  Darn, my soothing scalp massage is over, back to reality, as I sit up I glance over at the two gossipers' and notice one of them is wearing a pair of those rubber Crocs!  I nearly gasp out loud.  I apologize but unless you have a medical condition that requires you to wear them, you're pregnant, you're a little kid, you're gardening or standing all day behind a hot stove (i.e.: Mario Batali) do NOT wear them out in public!  To begin with they have the unfortunate name; Crocs and my guess would be it's because they look as nice as the wide round flat snout of a crocodile!  Oh, doesn't that just say "wear me, I'm pretty?"

Let me ask you this; if a woman's shoes/clothing are an expression of how she feels and what she wants to project to the world, what are those Crocs saying?  To me they said; I'm bored, lazy, have no sense of style and don't care how I look to myself or others. Yikes!

As I walk back to Bre's chair I can hear Gustave growling and I see him peering arrongantly from under my jeans and I think "I know, how dare they name those shoes after you!"  I sit down in Bre's chair and say to her "These are my version of Crocs."  She laughs and says, as only a daughter can, "Everyone knows how you feel about Crocs and flip-flops Mother."  Oh, yeah don't get me started on flip-flops......

Now I ask you ladies - Crocs or Crrrrrocs?                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment